THE MONASTERY (2007)
"Score by Johan Söderqvist also adds a classy touch." - Variety
"Grønkjær’s beautiful cinematography and a musical score by Johan Söderqvist set off this touching story." - Show Business Weekly
• Winner of the Joris Ivens Award at the Amsterdam International Documentary Film Festival
• Winner of the FIPRESCI Award for Best Documentary at Sydney Film Festival
• Winner of the Cinema Eye Award for Best International Feature at the IFC Center, New York
• Winner of the The Millenium Award for Best Film and The Kino Magazine Award at the Planete Doc Review Festival, Warsaw
• Winner of the Canvas Award, Belgium
• Winner of the Full Frame Grand Jury Award and the Charles E. Guggenheim Emerging Artist Award at the Full Frame Festival, Durham, North Carolina
• Winner of the Chicago Doc Grand Prix
• Winner of the Audience Award at the Moscow International Film Festival
• Winner of Bodil Award for Best Documentary Film
• Nominated to the Grand Jury Prize at the Sundance Film Festival
• Nominated to the Prix Arte by the European Film Academy
• Nominated to the Independent Spirit Award
Director: Pernille Rose Grønkjær.
Producers: Sigrid Dyekjær.
DR TV / Danish Film Institute / Nordisk Film- & TV-fond, 2006
IMDb • Official film site
The Story: 50 years ago Jørgen Lauersen Vig bought Hesbjerg Castle, situated in the Danish country side, with the purpose of turning it into a monastery. Now, many years later, he is about to realize his old dream. A group of Russian Orthodox nuns are on their way, and thus Mr. Vigs life-long dream is about to come true. But, nuns have plans and wills of their own, and Mr. Vig must realize that the road to fulfilling his dream is very different than what he imagined.